WIC is putting more money in families’ pockets this summer. As part of the American Rescue Act of 2021, pregnant women and each WIC participant 12 months and older will get an additional $35 each month for fruits and vegetables through September. That means a family with a pregnant parent and two kids receives $105 monthly for fruits and vegetables, in addition to all their other WIC foods. And they’re encouraged to spend it all!
In this webinar, PHFE WIC‘s Outreach Manager Pina Hernandez — joined by Irene Heath from South Los Angeles Health Projects WIC and Claudia Ulloa from Northeast Valley Health Corporation’s WIC — shares what you need to know about this seasonal increase, including what you can do to help make it permanent. She also covers other helpful updates on WIC services.
(Slide presentations and related resources are available below the video.)
- Video: Fruit and Vegetable Benefit Increase
- Summer 2021 Fruits and Vegetables Benefit Increase
- WIC Farmers’ Market Program (including a list of participating farmers’ markets in southern California)
- PHFEWIC.org: WIC services by PHFE WIC
- WICforYou.org: WIC services by South LA Health Projects (Lundquist Institute)
- NEVHC.org/wic: WIC services by Northeast Valley Health Corporation