[Update: An additional resource was added to the resource list below on November 23, 2021.]
[Update: An additional resource was added to the resource list below on April 4, 2022.]
With the right support, individuals with a substance use disorder can overcome it. But it’s important to recognize that treatment and recovery are ongoing processes that happen over time. What type of support can home visitors provide to aid in this process? In the recorded webinar below — hosted by LA Best Babies Network on November 8, 2021, for staff in our network of home visiting organizations and Welcome Baby hospitals — Andrew Kurtz, LMFT:
- Identifies appropriate supports to enhance a person’s health within and outside of formal substance use disorder treatment services
- Discusses the role of language and stigma in the recovery support process, and identifies ways to destigmatize substance use disorder treatment
- Discusses the role of the home visitor in providing support to an individual undergoing substance use recovery treatment
- Provides examples of activities to integrate effective recovery support services into home visits
Scroll down for links to related resources.
About the presenter:
Andrew Kurtz is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and has been a Clinical Specialist with UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs since 2014. Mr. Kurtz has previously served as a Program Director in community mental health, specializing in optimizing access to integrated services through a same-day assessment center. He has served as the lead contact of a nationally recognized trauma-informed care implementation that provided staff trainings and program design assistance to improve trauma services, including developing a one-of-a-kind wellness center focused on reducing barriers to accessing care for individuals exposed to traumatic events. Mr. Kurtz has been the instructor for the Fieldwork Practicum course in UCLA Extension’s Alcohol and Drug Counseling Certificate Program since 2017. Mr. Kurtz has a background in research on cognitive and behavioral interventions for the treatment of first-episode schizophrenia diagnoses.
- Presentation slides: Recovery Support Services Along the Continuum of Substance Use Disorder Treatment
- National Center on Substance Abuse and Child Welfare
- Finding AA/NA Meetings in the Community:
- Self-Paced Tour of Motivational Interviewing
- Treatment of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome due to Crystal Methamphetamine: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness
- Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment
- MATRIX Model for Intensive Outpatient Treatment
- Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation Family Toolkit for Recovery
- Practitioner Guide for Illness Management and Recovery
- Defining Recovery and Reviewing Efficacy of Peer Support Services
- UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs’ On-Demand Learning Center
- ACOG webinar: Prenatal Alcohol Exposure: Prevention, Identification and Support
You must be logged into the ACOG member site to view this webinar.