This webinar — presented by Jenya Cassidy from the California Work and Family Coalition and by Katie Waters-Smith from BreastfeedLA — provides an overview of state and local leave laws, including the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA), New Parent Leave Act (NPLA), and Pregnancy Disability Leave Law (PDL). It also explains job protection and income replacement when taking leave.
LA Best Babies Network hosted this webinar on May 6, 2019, for Welcome Baby Hospital Liaisons in Los Angeles County’s Family Strengthening Network.
(See below for more resources, including those referenced in the webinar.)
- PowerPoint: CA Family Leave Rights: A Training for Advocates, Organizers, & Activists
- Website: State of California Employment Development Department
- Website: CA Work & Family Coalition
- Website: Legal Aid at Work
- Paid Family Leave Claim Process, State of California Employment Development Department
- Legal Aid at Work Helpline: (800) 880-8047
- Work and Family Community Resources and Fact Sheets, Legal Aid at Work
- Six Key Laws for Parents, California Work & Family Coalition (English | Spanish)
- If You’re Pregnant and Working, Know Your Rights (New York Times, July 18, 2019)
- How Freelancing Parents Can Create Maternity or Paternity Leave (New York Times, May 21, 2019)
- How to Ask for Parental Leave When You’re an Hourly Worker (New York Times, May 21, 2019)
- Pregnancy Accommodations: Learn More About Your Workplace Rights, Pregnant@Work, an initiative of the Center for WorkLife Law, University of California Hastings College of the Law