It’s hard to know what to say to a parent who has lost a baby. In this webinar, home visitors learn how to support moms and dads who have experienced this traumatic event.
Kiley Krekorian Hanish, a bereaved mother who founded the Return to Zero Center for Healing, conducted this webinar February 12, 2018, for Welcome Baby Parent Coaches and home visitors in Los Angeles County’s Family Strengthening Network, but home visitors anywhere can benefit from her helpful presentation. Scroll down past the video for resources you can use to support grieving parents.
Like this video? Subscribe to LABestBabies on YouTube!
- Webinar Slides: Supporting Parents After Perinatal Loss (pdf format)
- ReturnToZeroHealingCenter.com, the website of webinar presenter Kiley Hanish and her husband. The site offers helpful resources for parents (When Your Baby Has Died: Guiding You Through Grief) and for family and friends (Do’s and Don’ts when Supporting Bereaved Families).
- Return to Zero movie (on Netflix)
- Grief Support Resources in L.A. County for Parents and Families with Infant and Fetal Loss (organized by SPA, compiled by Los Angeles County Department of Public Health)
- From the March of Dimes:
- Dealing with grief after the death of your baby
- From Hurt to Healing, a booklet for grieving parents
- Share Your Story, an online community for families to share experiences with prematurity, birth defects, or loss
- From the March of Dimes “News Moms Need” blog: How to support grieving parents, Pregnancy loss: will it happen again?, Living with loss, Infant loss affects the tiniest family members, Infant mortality. These two words should never go together., Honoring parents with angel babies, The pain of losing a baby, Help with grief
- Other organizations that support grieving parents:
- Centering Corporation
- Center for Loss in Multiple Birth, Inc.
- Compassionate Friends
- First Candle
- International Stillbirth Alliance
- Journey Program of Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep
- Perinatal Hospice & Palliative Care (for parents who find out during pregnancy that their baby has a life-limiting condition)
- Share Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support
- Star Legacy Foundation
- Twinless Twins Support Group International