Bed bug infestations appear to be growing more common, at least in Los Angeles County, where our First 5 LA-funded Family Strengthening Network home visiting programs serve families. In this webinar, LA Best Babies Network’s Mallika Bhandarkar, MPH, presents an overview of bed bugs and what home visitors can do to help families eradicate these pests.
We conducted this webinar for Welcome Baby and home visiting staff on August 6, 2018. See below for related resources and handouts that can be printed and distributed to families. (Also see this related post: MCHA’s ‘Welcome Baby’ Program Gets the Bugs Out)
Like this video? Subscribe to LABestBabies on YouTube!
- General information on bed bugs from the CDC, EPA, Calif. DPH, and L.A. County DPH
- General information in Spanish: Control de chinches y otras plagas (EPA)
- Guides used by Early Head Start: Bed Bugs: Managing the Itch Factor and Chinches: Controlar el Factor de Comezón (National Center on Early Childhood Health and Wellness)
- Bed Bug Guide from the Tuck Sleep Foundation includes sections on Bed Bug Prevention and How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs, plus links to more online resources.
- Fact Sheets on Bed Bugs and Cockroaches: These handouts (in English and Spanish) are produced by the Safer Pest Control Project, which seeks to reduce the health risks and environmental impacts of pesticides.
- Bad Bugs Slideshow: Identifying Bugs and Their Bites (WebMD)
- Pesticides used to treat bed bugs can make you sick (Calif. Dept. of Public Health)
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs (Tipsbulletin.com)
- Tenant rights regarding bed bugs and other pests:
- L.A. County Dept. of Public Health’s Environmental Health Emergency Hotline: 888-700-9995
- Recommendations for Owners/Operators or Management of Hotels and Other Multiple-Unit Dwellings (L.A. County Dept. of Public Health)
- Landlord Responsibility for Bed Bugs (Nolo.com)
- Tenant Options if Your Landlord Won’t Make Major Repairs (Nolo.com)
- What Landlords Need to Know About Bed Bugs (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency)
- Is landlord responsible for bedbug infestation? (LA Times, 8/31/14)