On January 23, 2019, teams from all 14 Welcome Baby hospitals in Los Angeles County convened at the California Endowment’s Center for Healthy Communities. Hosted by LA Best Babies Network, First 5 LA, Maternal and Child Health Access, and PAC/LAC, this event was part of the ongoing training that Family Strengthening Network staff members receive to ensure they have the latest and greatest tools and information to serve pregnant women and families with babies and young children. (Scroll to the bottom for links to resources, and watch the video for a 39-second recap of the day.)
Presenters included: Christine Cesa, a human trafficking survivor and advocate from CAST LA (the Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking); Frank Tamborello from Hunger Action Los Angeles, which works to end hunger and support low-income residents through advocacy, direct service, and organizing; and Terri Simmons, a relationship and success coach.
Christine discussed the problem of coerced sex work in L.A. County, and explained how to identify and support victims. Frank showed attendees how to connect families to community services and resources in L.A. County with The People’s Guide to Welfare, Health & Other Services. Terri’s presentation on “intentional communication” covered the four elements of right speech, allowed staff to reflect on their communication style, and shared tips on how to overcome obstacles that stand in the way of healthy interactions.
And we’re ready to do it all over again! On February 14, staff from all Family Strengthening Network home visiting agencies (programs that use either the Parents as Teachers or Healthy Families America models) will be treated to the same terrific lineup.
Resources from the workshop:
- CAST LA Presentation
- Handout: 3 Stages of Change GEMS Handout
- Handout: A Road Map for Systems and Industries to Prevent and Disrupt Human Trafficking – Health Care Handout
- Handout: Human Trafficking Lingo
- Hunger Action Los Angeles Presentation
- List of Market Match sites
- Handout: Dental Services
- Handout: How to Talk About ‘Public Charge’ With Immigrants and Their Families (see all resources offered by the Protecting Immigrant Families campaign)
- Section 8 Housing Waiting List for San Bernardino County (application deadline: 2/25/19)
- Terri Simmons Presentation
- Handout: W.A.I.T.
- Assessment: What’s Your Communication Style?